New ideas, new feelings

Apr 24, 1996 09:20 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

can learn new things: it missed my point.  The problem with
theos-l in particular and Theosophists in general isn't that
there is no assimilation of new information going on; of course
there is.  My comparison to medit-l was not focused on whether
it is possible to gather informative nuggets, but rather on the
possibility of engaging in discussion with people who are
*actively in process of transforming their minds, emotions,
bodies...*  rather than defending their boundaries.

The rigid vs. flexible continuum is the objectively-observed
result of a subjective tense vs. relaxed continuum.  People who
are psychologically or mentally tense are prone to
behave in ways that manifest this outwardly.  For example,
taking rigid positions and defying the world to disprove them.
Or describing everything that is not "in-group" approved as
being an attack by infidels.  Whereas, psychologically and
mentally relaxed people, who are more common in ARE than in
Theosophical groups, tend to *act that way* in being more open
to new ideas, less easily threatened, less defensive.