Lucifer's version of Maha Chohan's letter

Apr 24, 1996 08:55 AM
by Nicholas Weeks

>>On Tue, 23 Apr 1996, Rodolfo Don wrote:
>>>
>>> I didn't know that there was more than one "version" of this important
>>> letter. The differences between the two versions that you posted are very
>>> upsetting. The one that I am acquainted with through the TS/Adyar is the
>>> latest one. I guess I didn't pay attention to the wording to the first one
>>> that you sent to theos-l.
>>>
>>> If the first "version" is the one that was published in Lucifer, how could
>>> have it been wrong? Could you elaborate on this?

Rudy,

Firstly I must apologize to the Universal Theosophy Fellowship at the
Theoslodge WWW site. They copied from Lucifer accurately enough, I
believe. The reason I thought they did not, is because I have an 1930s era
Bombay ULT pamphlet of "The Great Master's Letter" and it is quite
different from the modern ULT pam. Apparently the Los Angeles ULT, at
some point in time, decided to use the sanitized Lucifer version instead
of the more accurate ones. With ULT's fondness for original sources this
does puzzle me.

Why did GRS Mead &/or Annie Besant alter the letter in 1896, in Lucifer?
Why did they edit in 1893 *The Secret Doctrine* and edit & abridge also
the *Key* in the same year? Others on Theos-l can give a more complete
historical view. One reason was to protect Xtian sensibilities from, in
their minds, the too harsh or mistaken words of HPB and her Gurus -- even
the Guru of their Gurus, evidently. Compare the Chohan's remarks about the
Chinese attitude to death during famine times, in the two versions that
were posted on Theos-roots, (and here too, thanks to Doss) and you will see.

Best,

--
Nicholas <> am455@lafn.org <> Los Angeles
"Morality is water that cleanses stains of wrongdoing; it is moonlight