Re: New ideas, new feelings

Apr 24, 1996 11:23 AM
by Jerry Schueler

Paul:
>My comparison to medit-l was not focused on whether
>it is possible to gather informative nuggets, but rather on the
>possibility of engaging in discussion with people who are
>*actively in process of transforming their minds, emotions,
>bodies...*  rather than defending their boundaries.

	I think I see your point, Paul.  But does it have to
be all or nothing here?  Can't we "defend our boundaries"
and "engage in discussion" with a relatively-opened mind
at the same time?  I suspect that if someone was to put
up a quote from a ML contradicting something someone
said, then that someone would quickly "transform their
mind" to fit the new data.  Unfortunately, this doesn't happen
often, because the literature itself is so open to interpretation.

> For example,
>taking rigid positions and defying the world to disprove them.
>Or describing everything that is not "in-group" approved as
>being an attack by infidels.  Whereas, psychologically and
>mentally relaxed people, who are more common in ARE than in
>Theosophical groups, tend to *act that way* in being more open
>to new ideas, less easily threatened, less defensive.

	I could be off base here, but I suspect the reason
for this behavior is that Theosophy provides a relatively
complete worldview, while ARE does not.  The problem with
a worldview is that it must always be defended, else we are
living a sham, and thus changes are very hard to come by.

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI