The Anti-Christian Writings of HPB

Mar 07, 1995 08:19 PM
by Jerry Schueler

Authur touches on a sensitive issue, and I feel that I
need to give him some background.  Perhaps some of you
(hint, Paul) with an historical background can chime in as
well.

Arthur: < I think this brings me to the second big reaction
and that is that Theosophy is supposed to be trans-religious
not anti-any particular religion.>

You are essentially correct.  But the early founders
found that they had to give reasons for why others should
switch their religion.  HPB in particular, caught a lot
of heat from Jesuits and others, and found herself in a
position of defense most of the time.  They also felt
strongly that Christianity had a lot of holes in it.
For example, the whole concept of Satan had been screwed
with over the years and was wrong (in their opinion).  So,
many of them spent a lot of time defending theosophy and
showing where Chrisitanity was wrong - which I think we
will all admit sounds a lot like criticism and plain
anti-Christianity.  However, HPB and the Masters all agreed
that what they called 'esoteric Christianity' was good
stuff and needed to be brought out into public.  So you
will come across pieces of their writings that sound very
harsh and critical, and other pieces that sound supportive
and acceptive.  There has been very little criticism of
Christianity or its churches or teachings since those
early days.  It is very doubtful that a 'good' Christian
can read or study HPB's works and not give up on theosophy
in short order, because of her attacks, which sometimes
were quite bitter sounding.  As I had already given up on
Christianity before reading her writings, I found myself
saying Yeah!  Go get 'em, and agreeing with her on most
things (some of her arguments are hard to follow today, and
one wonders why the heck she is trying to attack dead
horses.  Only, they weren't dead yet when she wrote it!)
I think the reason why you find Christianity was especially
singled out for attack was because that is where all the heat
was coming from.  Theosophy received very little flack from
the Hindu, Buddhist, or Islam communities.  Christians,
especially the Jesuits, attacked HPB and theosophy both
with a vengence and her writings are sandwiched with all
manner of defensive rebuttals.  I suspect that this is
one reason why few Christians switch to theosophy.  It
may also be one reason why Steiner left to form his own
Anthroposophy, which in my view is just a Christianized form
of theosophy.

This is strickly my own humble opinion, but I think that
because HPB has already provided a strong rebuttal to
Christianity in her writings, we see little of any attacks
today.  There is no longer any need.  Today we can
concentrate on universal siblinghood and let her writings
stand as sufficient religious rebuttal to any would-be
antagonist.  For this, we all owe her a large debt of
gratitude.

                    Jerry S.