Re: E.S.

Oct 08, 1999 00:12 AM
by kymsmith

Christine wrote:

>Just curious:  why are some people so strongly against the Esoteric
Section?
>I don't know much about it, except my impression is that it has some strict
>lifestyle rules and is somewhat secretive.

I can't help you much here as I have no experience with the ES.  However,
from what I've gleaned from posts about it, it appears many consider it a
form of "fundamentalist" theosophy, with grand arrogance to boot.  But
that's just a thought off the top of my head.  What scares me the most in
Theosophy is the ULT.  Just reading the ULT webpage was enough to make me
get up and bolt my doors.

>But I recall that my grandmother
>was a member, and she was a wonderful lady, so I'm wondering what the
problem
>is.

I'm curious.  Did your grandmother ever mention her awareness that other
Theosophists treated or thought of her, or the ES in general, as yucky?
What was her take on the obvious divisions between branches of Theosophy?

>Any light you can shed would be appreciated.  Don't be shy - I can take
>it, as long as you're not rude!

Sorry, my guidance light in this area is pretty dim; watch your step!  As
far as being "rude" on this list - well, for some of us, the definition of
rude is ambiguous.  Some people just naturally come across "rude" when
writing - that's a downside of e-mail, one can't monitor facial or other
physical gestures.

I am forced to be a bit more tolerant of "rude" persons as I have been
known to cross that boundary way too frequently myself.  I've never
observed you being rude, though; I wonder how you do it actually.  The
temptation on this list to be so is often overwhelming.

That being said, I must say I have personally found that, both in writing
and in society, a female often has to engage in aggressive or "rude"
behavior in order for many men to stop and pay attention.  If a female, or
even a male, seems "nice" or "compliant," she/he is easily ignored or
dismissed, or even thought of as "dumb."  It is a cultural reflection.
"Threatening behavior" gets one noticed; "peaceable behavior" blends one
into the woodwork.  The gentle and sensitive humans among us pay the
highest price for this sad fact; competition is paramount, both on this
list and in life.  I hope, as societies evolve, this will cease to be the
case, but for present day, as my own grandmother used to say, "the squeaky
wheel gets the oil."

Humans.

Kym