Re: THEOS-L digest 1286

Oct 18, 1997 03:52 AM
by CPickar965

Titus Roth:

  <<
 I know books have been devoted to how a non-hierarchical group may function.
 M. Scott Peck, for instance, wrote an interesting book on community - and
 started the Foundation for Encouragement of Community.  I've always wondered
 how effective his ideas are and how well they work in the long run.  How
often
 do your members interact with one another?  What is the size of your group?
 How do you achieve consensus?  Or do you?

This is not addressed to me but I would like to comment.  It's a pleasure to
see someone else reading M. Scott Peck's work.  I have found the concept  for
community building very similiar to the "teamwork concept's" I work with and
study.  Roughly, another group I am affiliated with has used some of  his
ideas.  We're very small (5-6). We meet once a week.  Their is still some
communication problems with one individual. So, no we don't achieve  a total
consensus.  The structure of the orginization we are part of is hierarchal
and some decisions out of necessity are done that way.  However, what has
happened is the spirit of the group is positive and members tend to willing
take responsibility for issues (like bringing supplies and helping with
certain chores) based on their own willingness to take on the responsibility
(frequently without being asked). A natural flow seems to take place.  Peck's
community idea actually is very similiar to empowerment concepts. I have
found people who hold the traditional roles of authority within the group
fall directly into Peck's definintions of having to be vulnerable and going
through the crucifixation experience.  The person in leadership or authority
does have to develop empty mind to hear all sides and be fair in the process
of monitering the group.  I don't think you can get away from having a
"leader".  But the concept of how the leader behave's is changed and how
problems are resolved take on a different air.  The group as a whole grows,
and over time "shields" are dropped or lowered.  One of the concepts Peck
talked about was "vulnerability" which, IMO, is dropping your shield.  There
is a sense of closeness that grows through the process which I would describe
as community.  I believe Peck did include a place for leadership in his book,
which implies a loosely structured hierarchy.  For those who are interested -
Peck has two very good books which I see as Theosophical in nature "Different
Drum" (community building) and "People of the Lie".  There is a third book
which I haven't read but appears to tie into this "A World waiting to be
Born."   In a nutshell, I agree with JRC the process of being committed and
trying to work out our differences develops each individual in a way the path
of the recluse or solitary can not.  What you gain from the experience is
intense and personal.  I suspect it pushes you further along the "path" then
any amount of meditation and reading can do.

crp