Re: Truth and/or Consequences

Jan 19, 1997 10:32 PM
by RIhle

Richard Ihle writes-->
Here, Tom, is a good example of why Mindfulness is better than "truth."

Tom Robertson writes-->
What does the saying that "there is no religion higher than truth" mean to
you?

RI-->
That Mindfulness is not a religion?  That truth and Mindfulness are the same
thing? Nothing at all?

TR-->
I neither knew about any of this [that J.S. has written books and might have
more secrets] nor do I see its relevance.

RI-->
The relevance is that this is the good kind of person to kiss-up to if you
are ever inclined to kiss-up.

TS-->
But by no means was I saying that his thinking is generally illogical.  I
take your word for it that he knows as much about magic as you say he does,
but I doubt he could know that much about magic, or, more generally, whether
anyone can know very much about anything, without being logical.

RI-->
Perhaps logic is just the slow vapor trail which forms after the
flawless/flawed jet of intuition, perception, or apprehension has flown over.
 Perhaps logic is even worthless unless it initially has something valid to
manipulate.  Perhaps the better class of both magicians and theosophists
strive first to become ~seers~ rather than expert logicians.  Perhaps the
~abandonment~ of overly strict logical thinking is the sine qua non of magic.

TS-->
If Jerry would not tell me other things he knows that I don't know just
because I pointed out how he was illogical in one case, I would consider him
to be responsible for that.

RI-->
Perhaps if Jerry does not agree that he was illogical, he then might be
tempted to start regarding you as someone who basically ~sees~ things
differently than he does.  Perhaps he might tell you some other things;
however, why would he tell you his most ~precious~ things when the chances
are good that you would not be able to see what he means again and probably
end up by calling them illogical too?  (Also, I didn't quite get how you were
using ~responsible~ in the above context.  Did you mean ~reprehensible~?)

TR-->
I would rather be able to speak the truth and not learn what anyone has to
say than to have to sell out the truth and charm people into telling me
things.

RI-->
Easy for you to say.  When it comes to "truth," I wish I could be as cocksure
of anything as you may be of everything (JRC coached me to say this).
 Anyway, perhaps we "sell out" truth to some extent every time we try to put
it into words, so what's the big sacrifice in being charming or silent?

TR-->
If correctly using logic is "alpha-male," then being "alpha-male" is good.

RI-->
I did not and would not make this association.  Logic = alpha?  I don't know
. . . rightly or wrongly, I sometimes just get the feeling I could take the
lunch money of any guy who can only syllogize his way around the ring (Alexis
coached me to say this). . . .

Godspeed,

Richard Ihle