Re: Leadership

Jan 19, 1997 07:06 PM
by kymsmith

Titus wrote:

>The discussion of leadership and peripheral subjects reminded me of a few
>scattered passages written by Ann Ree Colton on the King or the higher
>self. The way one rules his or her inner kingdom should be how he or she
>conducts himself or herself when placed with responsibilities for others. If a
>leader cleaned his or her own house first, he or she would earn his or her
>position and at least a few would recognize him or her and be prepared to give
>their all for him or her. (Pant ...  pant ... can I drop the arduous "he or
>she" and declare that "man" is used in the generic sense in what follows? I
>assure you that having had a woman spiritual teacher makes me think in generic
>terms when I see "man". Thanks.)

Quoting someone who uses gender-exclusive language does not make the 'one
who quotes' guilty of the same blunder.

"Pant ... pant ... can I drop the arduous. . ."  Arduous?  You will find
gender-inclusive language not so arduous once you have gotten used to using
it.  It will come smoothly, effortlessly.  You will also find there are ways
of being genderless without continually repeating, as you have done in your
first paragraph, 'him or her' 'himself or herself,' but I am impressed with
your effort.

I had a friend once who told me he would rather put a disclaimer on his
article than use gender-inclusive language.  He claimed it was "faster and
more efficient."  After he had finished his disclaimer, I asked him to
compare the work involved between the two - using gender-inclusive
language/apologizing for not using gender-inclusive language.  He wrote
fifty-seven more words of apology than if he had simply done the dirty deed.
He hasn't spoken to me since. . .but his article did end up addressing all
of humanity.  He was even noted for being "progressive."  Hmmmm. . .

>>From "The King" by ARC:

>"No man is above correction.

I hear you talkin', Ann Ree Colton.

Kym