subjective reality

Jan 11, 1997 03:30 AM
by Thoa Tran

Mary Poppins:
>The difference between illusory and imaginary should be kept
>in mind.  That only what does not change is fully real does
>not mean that constantly changing forms are imaginary.

Constantly changing forms are real, not imaginary.  Changing forms are
impermanent, therefore illusory.

>All life must support itself by killing.

The validity of that statement depends on the definition of life.  If it is
true that all life must support itself by killing, then as humans, we have
the choice to limit the extent of the killing we do.  Some of us uses Lysol
and Raid, but will not eat meat.

>The responsibility for compassion is universal.  Those who
>smoke are responsible to have compassion for those who
>breathe their smoke, and for the people who have to foot the
>bill for their medical bills.  Those who have AIDS due to
>their own irresponsible behavior are responsible to have
>compassion on those to whom they gave their disease.

The responsibility for compassion is universal.  For those we feel
responsible for their plight, we can apply forgiveness.  We can also
consider the extent that they deserve the consequence.  For example, we can
forgive a smoker for having had an addictive and unhealthy habit.  We can
feel that they do not deserve the denial of insurance because of their
habits.  We can also feel that anybody gravely ill should have the best
medical attention possible.

TTT