Re: subjective reality

Jan 11, 1997 11:44 AM
by Tom Robertson

On Sat, 11 Jan 97, Thoa Tran <thoa@withoutwalls.com> wrote:

>Mary Poppins:
>>The difference between illusory and imaginary should be kept
>>in mind.  That only what does not change is fully real does
>>not mean that constantly changing forms are imaginary.
>
>Constantly changing forms are real, not imaginary.  Changing forms are
>impermanent, therefore illusory.

Mary, again:
I don't see how something can be both real and illusory.

>If it is true that all life must support itself by killing, then as humans, we >have the choice to limit the extent of the killing we do.  Some of us uses >Lysol and Raid, but will not eat meat.

Just as various economic benefits can be gained at less cost, so can life
be purchased at lower levels of killing.

>we can forgive a smoker for having had an addictive and unhealthy habit.  >We can feel that they do not deserve the denial of insurance because of >their habits.

Forgiving smokers does not rule out holding them responsible for their
habits.

>We can also feel that anybody gravely ill should have the best medical attention possible.

In some societies, the elderly ill volunteer to die rather than be a
burden.  "You can't put a price tag on human life" would only be true if
money was unlimited.  What if treating one ill person stops us from
treating 10 others?