Post-Christian era?

Jan 09, 1997 10:29 AM
by Thoa Tran

>1.3 billion believers make Christianity still by far the
>largest world religion, and more importantly it has has the
>greatest internal diversity with more than a thousand
>different varieties.

Paul,

The point of whether Christianity is a dominant religion or not is moot,
considering that one of the fact that Christianity became widespread is
through force and conquering of other nations. The French dominated over the
Vietnamese, the British dominated over the Indians (became Australians and
dominated over the Australian Aborigines, became Americans and dominated
over native American Indians, Americans also brought slaves to America and
converted them, too, became New Zealanders and....), etc.  Remember the
Spanish Inquisition?  The point that Christianity is more widespread than,
say, native North American Indian beliefs or Australian Aboriginal beliefs,
does not mean that this belief is better than the more obscure ones.  In
fact, its patriarchal system have encouraged suppression of women,
moralistic control, and power plays.   I agree with JRC that you are
comparing the highlights of one with the shadow of another.

At any rate, it's good to go where your faith is at the moment.  You
obviously have felt many dissatisfactions under the Theosophy and the Baha'i
groups, and you should go where you are satisfied.  The important thing is
not which organization you are under, but that you keep the faith.  All
religions have done some bad and good, although I can't recall any
injustices committed under Buddhism.  I myself don't belong to any group,
and am starting to like it that way.  It's good to know others, though, who
are into enlightening themselves, and compare that nugget of truth with
them.  I usually look at any belief, take what I like and leave what I don't
like.  I hope that you will find what you are looking for, as we are all
searching.

Namaste,
TTT