JRC's credibility

Jan 09, 1997 11:04 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

Tom Robertson writes that "If anyone has any reason to consider
your [JRC's] credibility to be more than negligible, I would
love to hear why."  OK:

On any subject related to TSA affairs I've ever seen him
discuss, JRC's comments have been well-founded in observations
and he can back up his judgments with details.  He has been
consistently insightful about how the TSA operates and why, in
ways that cause me to have "Aha" reactions where formerly I
was totally confused.  No one to my knowledge has ever caught
him in a factual error on these subjects.  He has been
attentive to all evidence presented from any source.  His
conclusions about the Boston lodge affair are based, in
addition to his own insights into Wheaton, on research
done by Sy Ginsburg who actually went to the Boston area to
interview people.  Rich Taylor, a Theosophical conservative who
is poles apart from JRC on doctrinal matters, was present at
the Boston imbroglio, and backed up what Sy reported.  NOTE--
Rich is an HPB Theosophist who deplored the Baileyite emphasis
of many people in the lodge but STILL considered Wheaton's
comments on the matter to be grotesquely unfair and
inaccurate.  The actual dollar amount spent on lawyers was
slightly short of $500000, as reported by Sy and Rich; all this
is in the theos-l archives for the period leading up to the
ballot on by-laws changes.  That's a brief effort at a reply
to your presumably rhetorical challenge.  Do you love it, as you
said you would?

I've met Willamay a couple of times and she does indeed seem to
be a very likeable and honorable person.  So do the other board
members I've met.  But even the finest of people can get caught up
in groupthink and fail to examine evidence that conflicts with what
they are being fed by those who control the information flow.
Since a board member was one of the major players in this
affair, there was an imbalance from the beginning in the
likelihood that both sides would be heard.