Re: Laws of Mathematics

Jan 08, 1997 09:26 AM
by Tim Maroney

>I'd like to see a "formal proof" that 2+2 might not be 4, also.

Try using base 3.

The argument about whether mathematics is invented or discovered
continues to wear on in philosophgical circles. Both sides here are
presenting oversimplified views of the issues. Formalism and Idealism are
not the same thing and Godel's Theorem is not a disproof of Idealism. At
the same time, we must note that the ideas held by mathematicians about
what the laws of mathematics are have changed over time and have changed
enormously in the last two centuries, so an argument for timelessness
would be hard to sustain.

Tim Maroney