Re: Laws of Mathematics

Jan 09, 1997 02:19 PM
by Tom Robertson

On Wed, 8 Jan 97, Tim Maroney <maroney@apple.com> wrote:

>>I'd like to see a "formal proof" that 2+2 might not be 4, also.
>
>Try using base 3.

You can call the result of adding 2 and 2 anything.  That hardly means that
the laws by which the addition is made is subject to individual
interpretation.

>the ideas held by mathematicians about what the laws of mathematics are >have changed over time and have changed enormously in the last two >centuries, so an argument for timelessness would be hard to sustain.

An argument for the timelessness of ideas about the laws of mathematics
would be impossible to sustain.  Like all forms, such ideas constantly
change.  But the laws themselves are eternal.