Psychic Avalon

May 21, 1996 04:53 PM
by Alan

PSYCHIC AVALON

In 1924, an English archaelogist interested in psychic research was
   also in charge of the excavations at Glastonbury Abbey,
   Somerset, England (claimed to be the original site of King
   Arthur's Avalon) and with the help of two mediums using
   automatic writing techniques, he uncovered with great accuracy
   the foundations of the Edgar Chapel at the far eastern end of
   the Abbey ruins - he asked the monks who built it to tell him
   where to dig.

In the course of receiving the many scripts, a great deal of
   material was received that had no direct bearing on the
   particular task mentioned, much of it to do with the life of the
   monks and the history of the Abbey itself.  One such script is
   referred to below.  If we were to ask someone to give a
   description of the essential unity of all life *out of time*
   this would be hard to follow.  What I find particularly
   interesting is that if the scenario portrayed by "Johannes" is
   accurate - and who can say with any certainty that it is not
   *unless they too are dead* - then the question that must be
   addressed is bound to be, "What price reincarnation?"

The quote below is from ~The Company of Avalon~ by F. Bligh Bond,
   F.R.I.B.A. and was published by Basil Blackwell in Broad Street,
   Oxford, in 1924.  It is a scarce book to find.  His other work
   on Glastonbury, ~The Gate of Remembrance~ dealing with the
   discovery of the Edgar Chapel, published also by Blackwell, is
   easier to find, and has been reprinted.  It may even be
   available somewhere right now.  The quote follows:

'In the script of J.A., published under the title The Return of
   Johannes, the following significant passages occur. After
   stating that to the "Company" of the brethren whose memories are
   communicated the Abbey still stands perfect as it was in its
   prime, or rather, as it was in the minds of those who conceived
   its design, we are led to infer that their united memory can
   reproduce its entire history. By clothing themselves in the
   garment of earth-recollection they can recall its history as one
   continuous whole.

"Each one, in his remembrance, is the link which makes for us all
   the faire story of Glaston as one continuous whole. So I, being
   linked in the spirit with Eawulf who comes from out the Danes in
   olden time, see with his eyes, hear with his ears, and live in
   mine own spiritual life the life that he lived in his day. . . .
   So does Eawulf, and so does Abbot Kent who loved the Mere and
   there took his pleasaunce, goe with me and in me, and I in him
   to see the sunset imaged in the waters and hear the tide ycoming
   in the sedges of Cock Lake ere it reached me over dear Mere. So
   being united and yet separate - united in sympathy and yet
   separate in that he is hym and I, Johannes - soe, I say, do we
   have and live a hundred lives where once we lived but one.  Thus
   are we. Is it not the Paradise of Saints, and not the Purgatory
   of Sinners, in which we all dwell and praise and rejoice as
   one?"'

Scanned and uploaded by Alan Bain, 21 May 1996.
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL:
Ancient Wisdom for a New Age
TI@nellie2.demon.co.uk