Re: Up-tight is the word!

Apr 11, 1996 05:27 PM
by Eldon B. Tucker

Chuck:

(writing to Alex)

>A buffoon is not necessarily harmless but is certainly funny in his
>hypocrisy.

Since "Buffoon" is being used a lot on theos-l, I looked it up in
my American Heritage Dictionary:

AHD> 1. A clown, a jester. 2. A person given to clowing and joking.
AHD> 3. A ludicrous or bumbling person, a fool.

Well, we seem to see examples matching all these definitions in
theosophical groups.

Of all the definitions, I'd prefer #3, if you consider someone as
the divine fool, like "The Fool" in the tarot, someone with an
innocence to life that makes of him a saint. (Of course, worldly-wise
saints are also useful role models...)

-- Eldon