By - Laws : a new perspective/approach

Dec 22, 1996 11:13 AM
by jem

hi --

I recently received an e-mail from Dr. Algeo which suggests that the intent
of the
changes were to directly conform with requests from the Adyar/Committee.

We seem to be caught up in an arguement about the implementation vs. the
*intent*
of the changes.

It is clear from e-mail and also snail-mail that we have the following

1 By-Laws get Ratified and several lodges file suit.

2 By-Laws get rejected and we have many within the TSA who do not trust
the TSA administration -- which is not good for anyone/organization. law-suits
would probably follow too

we need new options:

1 we need to allow TSA to gracefully extend the election. This means that they
can extend it *without* blaim -- i.e. backing off can SEEM like a defeat and
be embarrasing. I think that they can decide to postpone elections in a manner
which signifies a *responsive presidency/board* decision which we should
ACCEPT as
an HONEST effort to allow a larger window of discussion. We need to allow
for misunderstandings and communication problems as *honest* problems
due to the current communication networks. NOT as personal attacks against
certain brothers/sisters within our organization.

perhaps we need 9-12 months to really get the arguements out in the open.

we may find it hard to understand but I do not think they TSA had
anticipated
the response to this ballot. We need to set up an environment where the
devisivness is eliminated. this is neccessary to preserve the TSA's
integrity and restore people's faith in the elected members.

2 I have received a letter from Dr. Algeo where the intent of the new By-Laws
were *requested* by International Adyar. However the wording and
implementation
were to be determined by the TSA. Hence --- we have an instance where the
guidelines
were set but the specific implementation needs to have an open discussion esp.
between TSA Chapters/Lodges.

Let us try to fix the system before it is permanently damaged.

peace --

john mead
jem@vnet.net

p.s. send National TSA ideas on how to regain membership confidence
especially regarding these new by-law changes.

p.p.s. this letter is my own idea. I am also sending it to
Theos@netcom and Dr. Algeo.

quote: it is easier to mend fences *before* the cattle stampedes through them.
I think we agree on this.