Re: Some Responses

Dec 13, 1999 03:39 PM
by Drpsionic

<<
 If I agree with you, does that make me a heretic too? Actually your
 statement above sounds a lot like Uncle Al's "Do What Thou Wilt" and
 should give many a good Theosophist a belly ache. Not nice on a Theosophical
 list. Good job!

 Jerry S.

Shure does!  Heresy is good for the soul and the orthodox shall burn in hell.

I was studying Uncle Al (the true World Teacher) years before I tripped over
Theosophy embarrassed scream and crashing noise in the background) and most
of the time he makes a lot more sense.

Now don't get me wrong.  I still like theosophy, it has lots of good stuff in
it.  But it has no corner on reality (notice I don't use Truth because I'm
becoming more and more convinced that there is no such animal).  It's one
system out of many and a system that has a certain appeal.   Of course the
weakness of clubs like hell and Karma is that the people who they are
designed to work on are usually the ones smart enough to see through them.

The problem with Theosophy now is that it has become ossified into
organizational stuff that no longer works real well, so there is a thrashing
around to try to find the stuff that will and that leads to intellectual
obscenities like the Sacred and Holy Labyrinth.

And, of course, the smug attitude that we have the brightest and the best and
eventually the whole world will come around to our way of thinking doesn't
help much.  It blinds us to serious acts of foolishness and causes us to
overrate events that no one else in the world takes seriously.  Yes,
occasionally a theosophist will get mentioned in the Wall Street Journal, but
it is always in the middle column on Wednesday, and that's the comedy column,
dedicated to some absurdity and meant to be ridiculed.

Our biographies become hagiographies and our histories self-congratulating
nonsense.  We become unable to see the serious weaknesses in the ideas
themselves, particularly the historical context of their origin.

In short, the TS has become a closed, inbred organization that seems unable
to come to grips with the fact that the world is so much different from the
world of the founders that they would not recognize themselves as even being
on the same planet.

Chuck the Heretic