Re: theos-l digest: December 01, 1999-to all

Dec 02, 1999 01:14 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 10:15 AM 12/2/1999 -0500, you wrote:

Good morning,

Could anyone help me to determine if I joined this list in error?  A short
while
 ago I came across the list and initially thought it would be a much needed
 road map to developing personal knowledge of some universal truths, common
factors inherent in a multitude of a varying body of beliefs.  Brought up in
a Catholic, and homogenous, environment, I could never seem to make myself
take
the "acceptable" path of "buying into" the catholic faith without
question.  It always seemed to me that most religions were based on the same
basic beliefs, with variations on a theme, and differing rituals.  Despite the
fact that this was not popular within family confines I could not force myself
to feel any differently.  I had hoped "the list" focused on the following
definitions/descriptions I found on the net:

What is Theosophy?

The word theosophy is derived from the Greek theo-sophia, which literally
means
"divine wisdom." Non-political and non-sectarian, the Theosophical
Society is dedicated to universal brotherhood, independent spiritual
search, and
 study of the religious, scientific and philosophical thought of humanity,
ancient and modern. It is part of a universal spiritual, intellectual, and
ethical movement which has been active in all ages. This movement is based on
the fact
that spiritual oneness is a reality, and is of the very essence of being.

    "Think of theosophy not so much as a body of philosophic or other
teaching,
but as the highest law of conduct, which is the enacted expression of
    divine love or compassion." -- Katherine Tingley

THE THEOSOPHICAL SOCIETY

The Theosophical Society was founded in New York in 1875 by H. P.
Blavatsky, H.
S. Olcott, W. Q. Judge, and others. It is part of a spiritual movement as
old as thinking humanity, and its philosophy is a contemporary presentation of
the ancient wisdom underlying the world's religions, sciences, and
philosophies.

The principles of theosophy were restated by Helena Blavatsky to draw the
attention of the industrialized West to the sublime spiritual ideas of the
perennial
philosophy, and to re-awaken the Orient to its ancient spiritual heritage.

The teachings of theosophy represent in outline the workings of the
universe. By
 individual effort and study, these concepts can become living forces in our
lives, where we may realize in ever increasing measure the universal realities
they depict. THE SOCIETY'S OBJECTIVES ARE:

    to diffuse among mankind a knowledge of the laws inherent in the universe;
    to promulgate the knowledge of the essential unity of all that is, and to
demonstrate that this unity is fundamental in nature;
    to form an active brotherhood among humanity;
    to study ancient and modern religion, science, and philosophy; and
    to investigate the powers innate in human beings.
**** END OF NET MATERIAL *******

OK, now my dilemna....  Subsequent postings are leading me to believe the list
may perhaps be more a forum for ego bashing than for exploring higher ideals.
I am not saying this to be unkind;  perhaps recent contributions are an
aberration and the current focus on personal attack is not the usual thing.  I
don't have
the benefit of a long history with the list.  My wish is to nurture my own
theosophical leanings, and my hope was that I had found a group sharing the
same
intent.  We all have our own learning curve, and our own routes to our
ultimate
destination.  It bothers me that it might be expected that everyone maintain
some strict timetable on what should be our own individual path.  How could it
possibly matter at all if someone gets their academic degree at 35??  Should I
feel inferior because it took me 5 years instead of 4?  I am totally
overwhelmed
 at the concentration on the superficial, and again would welcome the news
that the focus is purely a temporary thing.  If someone would be kind
enough to
suggest another forum to explore, I would welcome it.  If I am clearly out of
my element here, you are also welcome to invite me to unsubscibe.

Thank you for taking the time to listen.

Maureen

Dear Maureen:

You are in the right list. In any group, there is going to be a wide range
of views and opinions and from time to time there would be topics or msgs
which may be considered off the wall by some.

The glue that keeps people interested in theosophy is the fact that no one
is expected to believe in anything and is allowed to believe in anything so
long as you give the same liberty to others.

While written material can provide information, the bottom line is our own
quest and understanding that is our own and not some second hand parroting.
On the other hand how is one to judge whether one is farther along the
"path" compared to someone else? There is no objective way to come to any
conclusion - at least in the physical plane. Also there is the viewpoint
clearly explained by Krishnamurti in his "Truth is a Pathless Land" which
raises the question whether there is any "path" which is an extension of
what we understand on the three dimensional physical plane.

While we see many msgs which are not of any interest to many, from time to
time, we will be able to find some invaluable idea or pointer which helps
us in our own quest for knowledge.

Also, one of the unique charater of this list is that it is not controlled
by any theosophical organization and is independent of all of them.
Organizations and its leaders have a pre-disposition to control and give a
spin to materials posted. And the owner of the list - John E Mead is rarely
even seen and has ensured that unfettered and unfiltered and uncensored
discussion goes on, even if there are msgs that one or more subscribers do
not like. Such is the price one has to pay when one lets each exercise
their freedom of expression and opinion.

Many of us, lurkers, have been on this for years and many of us have learnt
about things in 3 years which we have not in 30+ years of membership in
organizations. So be patient and keep your subscription. You are encouraged
to post any message, however trivial or outlanding they may seem to be to
others. There are always those who will respond while keeping our focus on
the freedom of thought and freedom of expression.

mkr