Something for Randy

Nov 26, 1999 11:00 AM
by b.a.williams

Dear Randy,
I have been reading your posts in silence and find I can no longer remain on
the sidelines. It is quite obvious to me and I'm sure many others that, you
just don't get it! I believe that the study of Theosophy and the knowledge
contained within is only open to those who have allowed themselves the
pleasure of internal viewing and recognition, and can understand and
willingly accept that they are surrounded by, and within, the entire
universe. It is as big and beautiful as it is because of those who inhabit
it. We must always know that to respect others and their opinions, we must
first respect ourselves. Quite obviously you are lacking this ability and I
can only wish the best for you in the future. Please listen to the little
guy in the back of head. He is there and waiting to rescue you.

In closing, I found the following on the net, in fact just today,  in a
Christian book entitled "The Imitation of Christ" by Thomas E Kempis,
written a couple of centuries ago. It was written as a "warning" against
sexual/sensual behaviour, but Randy, I saw your many conditions and
anguishes jump out. Please read it, between the lines if necessary, and
place yourself in its powerful words. I hope it may help you in your quest
and give you some much-needed peace.

"Unbridled Affections
      WHEN a man desires a thing too much, he at once becomes ill at ease. A
proud and avaricious man never rests, whereas he who is poor and humble of
heart lives in a world of peace. An unmortified man is quickly tempted and
overcome in small, trifling evils; his spirit is weak, in a measure carnal
and inclined to sensual things; he can hardly abstain from earthly desires.
Hence it makes him sad to forego them; he is quick to anger if reproved. Yet
if he satisfies his desires, remorse of conscience overwhelms him because he
followed his passions and they did not lead to the peace he sought.
      True peace of heart, then, is found in resisting passions, not in
satisfying them. There is no peace in the carnal man, in the man given to
vain attractions, but there is peace in the fervent and spiritual man."

Regards,

Barry Williams