Theosophy and individualism - Randy

Nov 21, 1999 11:41 PM
by kymsmith

Randy wrote:

> I know it is politically correct to pretend there are no differences

Actually, it is NOT politically correct to pretend there are no
differences.  The worst thing is homogenity or sameness.  To assume that a
person who is black will respond or react or think the same as a white
person is to disregard that person's culture and background.  There are
even differences in thinking between high-income white people and
low-income white people; the same for all races, creeds, and genders.  The
point is to work toward social equality; not a community of robots.  No one
I know, at least in the liberal field, believes that treating people as if
we ALL have the same ideas, views, experiences, and culture is appropriate.
 It's just that color, religion, or gender, should not dictate to another
what their capabilities might be.  The idea that social groups adhere to
the "homogenity" concept is bogus and has been used as an effective
deterrent in obscuring the message of equality by those who risk losing
power should true social equality come into being.

>or if
>there are it is the blame of society

It is society that made laws restricting education and voting rights for
women and black people.  It is religion (a social institution) that claims
women are inferior in power status to men.  It is society that overturned
affirmative action and it is society that dictates a person's social
standing.  It is the media (a social institution) that portrays
predominately black or Hispanic faces when talking about drug usage, when
the same number (some studies claim higher rates) of white people are drug
addicts.  It is government (a social institution) that has made possession
of crack (users are mainly African-American) an immediate prison sentence;
yet, has made possession of cocaine (users mainly white) a
sentence-negotiable crime.

Society DOES decide who will have opportunities and who will not.  If
society were to declare today that all people named Randy could not go to
school, well, Randy, your opportunities for education and employment would
be severely weakened.  White society declared the same for
African-Americans and now society wonders why African-Americans distrust
white society.  Go figure.  Would you trust, Randy?  How many years or
generations would it take for you and your family to forget all about it,
drop all anger and hurt, and buddy-up to those who declared you inferior
just because you were named Randy?

>but
>where does this end?

It ends when society quits pretending and actively passes and enforces laws
that ensure equality and fair consideration for bank loans, car loans,
housing, crime sentencing, health care, rent, insurance, and a myriad of
other services and necessities (required both by society and the human
condition) that are primarly geared toward those who are already privileged.

>Is not the theosophical  thing that we are individually
>responsible for creating our own destiny?

Doesn't seem so since the central theme is Oneness.  Theosophy reminds us
over and over and over again how OUR ACTIONS affect OTHERS; hence, the
greater responsibility of theosophists.  We are to create our own destiny
by keeping in mind that its purpose is to further all beings - not just
ourselves.  Their destiny is, in effect, our destiny.

Kym