Re: Breeder Plant quibble (was: The handmaid's tale)

Nov 21, 1999 08:04 PM
by Bart Lidofsky

	In the United States, there was a furor over several high school and
college students who came up with designs and built theoretically
working nuclear bombs, provided that they had the fissionable material.
These stories were juxtaposed with other stories about bomb-grade
plutonium missing. What the news stories failed to mention was that the
students' bombs were uranium-based, requiring bomb-grade uranium. To
build a plutonium bomb requires far more technical expertise. The point
is that the existence of bomb-grade plutonium is not good, but it is not
a disaster, either.

	Bart Lidofsky