The handmaid's tale

Nov 20, 1999 07:00 AM
by kymsmith

Grigor wrote:

>> Minsk isn't safe!  Specially on a Saturday
>> night with all those drunk nationalistic
>> Albanians singing the Internationale
>> and ruckusing in Belarusian turf.  Its
>> like the neo-Nazis I saw while visiting
>> a breeder plant in Idaho Falls on business.

"Nationalistic Albanians,""Belarusian turf" and "Neo-Nazis."  Hmmmm.
Sounds like nationalism is an attitude that many people ascribe to -
Americans included.

Idahoans tend to downplay the neo-Nazi movement and swear that neo-Nazis do
not share their views.  However, as a white woman with a black best friend,
I have to disagree.  The treatment I receive in Idaho when I am with my
African-American friend as opposed to treatment received with white
acquaintaces is quite different.  Idaho is a classic example of people
pretending something doesn't exist, all the while, this 'thing that doesn't
exist' grows and grows and begins to leave seeds in people's minds.  One of
my philosophy professors, initially from Boston, angry at the quality of
essays handed in, exasperatingly bellowed out "Do you all want to be
darkies standing on a street corner?"

Idaho, and places like it, if not confronted, truly are "breeder plants."

And I shudder to think that I have to agree with something that guy named
Grigor said.

Kym