Re: theos-l digest: November 15, 1999

Nov 16, 1999 01:59 AM
by KYM C. SMITH

Grigor wrote:

>>[Kym] Also, his famous categorical imperative, which he claims is based
on pure
>>  reason, has been proven over and over again to fail Kant's criteria.

>[Grigor] Oh, how so?

Kant's categorical imperative says 'Act only on that maxim which you can at
the same time will to be a universal law.'  Maxims are general rules or
principles which "rational" (I love that) persons are supposed to base
their actions on and to additionally ponder the result of choosing such an
action in a particular circumstance.

Kant wanted to author a universal maxim, one that could apply to everyone
and everything and be both rational and morally permissable - hence, his
categorical imperative.   The important part of his theory, the "test," is
that whatever maxim one adopts, an individual, by following it, does not
place him/herself separate from others - meaning, if you do it, then you
must wish for everyone else to do it.

The often used example of putting Kant's maxim in action is the statement
'I will always pay my debts as soon as possible to avoid incurring
unnecessary interest.'  This is both rational, moral, and universal in the
sense that if everyone did it, it would benefit society.

However, there are can be, for an individual, maxims that are both rational
and moral, but if everyone believed or acted the same way, the action could
never be carried through.  Example: 'I shall play tennis on Sunday mornings
when courts are available since everyone else in in church.'  There is
nothing immoral or irrational about such a maxim.  Remember that Kant
requires one to act ONLY upon a categorical imperative.  For someone to
say, well, 'it's ok for this person to play tennis on Sunday because not
everyone is going to do it' does not wash with Kant.  That is applying your
own ends exclusive of universality.  Kant says 'No way, man, forget it, you
can't do that.'  In other words, under Kant's maxim, the individual would
be forbidden to play tennis on Sunday mornings because this person would
not will for EVERYONE to play tennis on Sunday mornings.

Now, I am grateful to Kant for providing me with an argument to do away
with sports on Sunday mornings, but. . ..

Kant was, perhaps, in need of a robust emotional outburst, a good cry and
wail, to properly clear his head.

Kym