Re: Randy to Alan:logic

Nov 12, 1999 04:36 PM
by ambain

----- Original Message -----
> From: <WLR7D@aol.com>
> Date: Friday, November 12, 1999 12:12 PM
> Subject: Re: Randy to Alan:logic

> Alan--
> Every thought we have, every
> experience we assimilate, every emotion we judge, every sentence you
write in
> reply will be grounded in and filtered by reason.

To be serious in this, as in so many things, it becomes necessary to
define one's terms, and then to agree - so far as is possible - on our
mutual use of them.  As an example, take some of the differences between
UK and US English.  Here we call pencil erasers "rubbers," because we
use them to "rub out" pencil marks. Asking for these by their UK name in
a US store can cause confusion and embarrassment, as you may well
imagine. So hoe do *you* define "reason"?

> Every time I get along in a discussion like this with one of you folks
> always wonder whether we agree or disagree.  Playing mishy mush with
words
> tends to create the feeling there can be no common ground.  Do we
agree on
> anything?

I expect we agree on the value of e-mail for communication, even if we
are not always perfectly understood!

It's interesting to be a "you folks."  Do you have mushy peas where you
live?

Over .....

Alan :0)

http://www.soft.net.uk/ambain/