Response to Katinka

Nov 10, 1999 06:32 AM
by Gerald Schueler

>>It seems to me, and that is why I bring up creativity, that
science has the most problem with creativity, which (for
the scientists here) may be described as that which goes
against entropy. >>

No, entropy is not the problem. The idea of increasing
entropy (chaos) only applies to closed systems, and
virtually all real-world systems are open. Prigogine's
Entropy is applicable to open systems in the same
way that Shannon's Entropy applies to information.

No, the problem of origins and evolution is in the idea
of a beginning. The Big Bang Model begs the question
of what happened before it.  Blavatsky solved this
problem by contrasting evolution with involution and
made the whole thing a circle.  But Theosophists
since then have misconstrued this and have insisted
that the purpose of evolution is to somehow evolve
the Monad into something "better."  Any time anyone,
science or Theosophy, tries to describe manifestation
as a linear process, they get into trouble. Evolution
is not linear because there is also involution, and
my Monad doesn't think it needs any improvement,
thank you very much...

>>This is indeed a great mystery, and may be
very close to the FINAL MYSTERY or what HPB calls the first
Cause.>>

Looking for a First Cause is a logical necessity, but you
won't actually find one.

>> And what is that? I call it
creativity, but it might be called intelligence. From what
you say above I gather that you do not mean That when you
use the word monad. >>

No, I wouldn't use intelligence with monad, but rather
with mind. Intelligence, like beauty and art, is much
in the eyes of the beholder.

Jerry S.