Theosilliness

Nov 03, 1999 05:03 PM
by ambain

BELIEVE IT OR NOT!

A UK Newspaper cutting from the Bristol Evening Post.

A ONE-million word manuscript written by a Bristol artist is at the
centre of a row after claims that it is possessed.

Beverly Skinner had worked on the project for nearly 30 years until her
death, aged 60, during the summer. Her son handed the manuscript to an
organisation for safe-keeping after she died. But members now want it
removed from their centre in Clifton because they believe it is
surrounded by evil spirits.

Mrs Skinner was one of Bristol's most controversial artists in the
1970s. She produced powerful paintings in support of Women's Lib,
including one set which attracted a visit from Scotland Yard's obscene
publications squad when it was shown in London. Mrs Skinner, who lived
in Westbury Road, Henleaze, began the manuscript in 1970. It was called
The Book of Paradise on Earth and was about people living in peace and
harmony.  She said it was being written on the instructions of a divine
being who appeared to her in a dream. Her son, Cameron, 40, flew in from
Pittsburgh and nursed his mother, who was suffering from cancer, during
the last months of her life. While sorting through her belongings after
her death last June he came across the manuscript, written on more than
10,000 sheets of paper.

Mr Skinner said he contacted an organisation called the Theosophical
Society to ask if it would look after the manuscript with a future view
to having it published. The work was taken away by society members and
is currently stored at its centre in Tyndall's Park Road. The society's
aims include the study of comparative religions, philosophy and science.
It also exists to investigate "unexplained laws of nature and the powers
latent in man".

Mr Skinner said: "I was told my mother was sympathetic to the ideals of
the society and that it would look after the manuscript. I have since
been approached by a member of the society, David Harvey, who came to
see me to say the manuscript was haunted. He said there was an evil
presence about it, which upset me very much. The implication was that it
was something to do with my mother, but she never had an evil bone in
her body. The society still has the manuscript and I am waiting to hear
what will happen to it.

Mrs Skinner's long-time friend, Poppy Green, of Belle Vue, Clifton,
said: "One of the society's objectives is to examine the unexplained and
I cannot believe that members have voted to remove it."

Mr Harvey, from the society, said: "We were getting bad vibes from the
manuscript.  People who are psychically sensitive were concerned about
what they were picking up from it. We are trying to find an alternative
place for it to be stored. It may be that we have to return it to Mr
Skinner."

..... more to follow.

Alan

http://www.soft.net.uk/ambain/