Re: brotherliness

Oct 20, 1999 04:31 PM
by Cybercmh

In a message dated 10/19/1999 12:02:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
theos-l@list.vnet.net writes:

<< Learning to create a place in which the full power - the apparent good and
 the apparent "bad" - is drawn out of all of us, where our sensibilities
 *are* periodically seriously upset >>

I agree with this line of thinking up to a point - but just as brotherliness
can be an excuse for superficial "niceness" and maintaining the status quo,
so can "telling the naked truth" be an excuse for abusiveness.  So I would
advocate for the capacity to respectfully disagree with each other,
maintaining enough civility that the other person feels disagreed with but
not personally attacked - and thus acknowledging our common humanity, one of
the Objects.  I also think that people can criticize the T.S. without
necessarily ripping it to shreds, keeping in mind the sensibilities of others
on the list who have found some meaning or goodness in it, and may not be
privy to the same level of inside knowledge.
Christine