Re: Theosophical Fanaticism

Oct 13, 1999 03:17 PM
by Alan

----- Original Message -----
> From: Gerald Schueler <gschueler@iximd.com>
> Date: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 2:27 PM
> Subject: Theosophical Fanaticism

> In short, if we can't talk like adults about Theosophical
> history, then we shouldn't talk about it at all.

This is very true, and very important, not only for theosophists, but
for anyone.

So far as possible, Theosophical history needs, like any history, to
present as much *fact* as possible, ideally supported by historical
documents bearing witness to these facts.

The importance, if any, of this history, is something to be considered
by individuals, inasmuch as they feel it is relevant to (in this case)
theosophical ideals.

IMO, for example, CWL told many lies which later did the TS much harm -
but this appears to have been taken on board by later generations of
theosophists, and where possible the harm has been redressed and the
errors corrected.

The Ancient Teachings which underpinned the theosophical movement begun
by Blavatsy *and others* brought, it seems to me, an influence into the
Western world which had long been lacking, and which has borne some
unexpected fruit, the most abundant of which seems to be found not in
the theosophical societies, but among the adherents and students within
the very broadly-based "New Age" movement, which has largely - in the
popular arena - *replaced* the TS approach.

"New Age" is, indeed, very new in historical terms, but who are we to
say that it may not be the child which may grow up to become the vehicle
for greater truths yet to be discovered?

Alan

Alan@ambain.softnet.co.uk
http://www.soft.net.uk/ambain/