Re: is it theosophical if you get paid money?

Sep 27, 1999 04:59 PM
by Eldon B Tucker

Katinka:

 > > I'd say that it's "theosophical" or not based upon *how*
 > > you do it, on how you experience it, on what you make happen
 > > under the circumstances.
 > >
 > > If you care about the people you're tutoring, and you care
 > > about what you're doing, and you bring a clear mind, open
 > > heart, and attentive spirit to the tutoring work, the fact
 > > that you make money for it is irrelevant.
 >
 > Yes, but the problem with money is, that it can so easily
 > become the motive, and then, where is my spirituality?
 > Out the window... Not being sure of my motive, I don't know
 > for sure whether my turoring falls under theosophy...

I'd come back to the basic point that the best perspective
that we take considers the unity of life as most important.
The greatest good to all is paramount. But "the all" includes
us too. Our needs count as much as those of anyone else. We
don't take the narrow view that all that is important is
what's best for ourselves, and not care at all about others.

It's ok to go into the kitchen and fix ourselves food when
we're hungry, even though at other times our attention may
be directed to feeding the hungry. It's ok for us to work and
make money and enjoy a portion of the material things in life
too. But there's a balancing act that we perform. We enjoy
life without being caught up in greed and attachment on one
side of the scale, and without being caught up in selfish
asceticism on the other hand. There's a middle way to experiencing
life without getting trapped by it nor having to flee it at all
costs in order to achieve inner peace.

Money can be the motive for choosing to work. Needing to
eat can be the motive for fixing dinner. Needing friendship
can be the motive for seeking out buddies and enjoying their
company. Needing higher knowledge can be the motive for going
in search of the mystery teachings.

The determining factor in the value of what we do is in the
higher qualities that we lend to the experience. It's not the
outer, literal, physical plane action we're doing, particularly,
that decides what has happened. What's happening is in our
consciousness, our perception, our living out of higher qualities
in the action. This includes motivation, a caring for others,
a sense of wisdom, an enjoyment of the omnipresent
nature of the divine, saturating every aspect of live and living.
What we bring to the situation can make it into an entirely
different world that another person may experience, standing by
our sides.

Making money can be as important a part of being a good
actor in the divine drama as anything else that we might do,
as long as the sense of being "this person," the sense of
standing apart from others, the sense of self-centeredness
and selfishness doesn't cloud our vision and darken our hearts.

-- Eldon