Re: FW: Y2K fix - no joke == check your computer for this needed change

Aug 09, 1999 06:18 AM
by M K Ramadoss

Here is a tip which works. Dallas was kind enough to send it to me. I have
already implemented it on my W95.

mkr

At 03:00 AM 8/9/1999 -0700, you wrote:

Aug 9th 1999

Dear Friend:

Please see the note below.

I used it and found my computer needed to be reset to the 4 DIGIT mode.

Best wishes,

Dal

Dallas
dalval@nwc.net

> Subject: Y2K fix - no joke

Hope this fix works for you[Dallas TenBroeck ]

 Subject: Y2K TIP...No JOKE!

 This Y2K tip was sent to me today. I checked my computer and sure

 enough, it was set for the two digit year. I have changed it now. Maybe

 we should all forward this information to everyone we know. It's worth

 try if it helps us roll our PCs over from 00 to 2000.

 For those of you running Windows, this is a fix for a small

 Y2K problem almost everyone should do...

 After running this quick little test, much to my surprise, I

 learned that both of my computers would have failed on

 01-01-2000 due to a computer clock glitch. Fortunately,

 a quick fix is provided, should your computer fail the test.

 I submit the following for your consideration:

 ======================================

 1. Double click on "My Computer".

 2. Double click on "Control Panel".

 3. Double click on "Regional Settings" icon.

 4. Click on the "Date" tab at the top of the page.

 5. Where it says, "Short Date Sample", look and see if it shows a

 "two digit" year. Of course it does. That's the default setting for

 Windows 95, Windows 98 and NT.

 (This date RIGHT HERE is the date that feeds

 application software and WILL NOT rollover in the year 2000.

 It will roll over to 00.)

 6. Click on the button across from "Short Date Style" and select the

 option that shows, MM/dd/yyyy. (Be sure your selection has four

 Y's showing, >> not two)

 7. Then click on "Apply" and then click on "OK" at the bottom. Done.

 Easy enough to fix. However, every single installation of Windows

 worldwide is defaulted to fail Y2K rollover