ULTese

May 20, 1999 05:01 AM
by hesse600

Hi all,
 There has been a discussion on ULTese on this list.
Someone asked me what I found interesting about it. He
wondered how the study of ULTese would help the spiritual
growth of me, or the other listmembers or of the ULT
itself. About the second two, I don't know much, but I do
know this: it helps me in my study of human nature.
 I have always been an interested and fascinated
people-watcher. I have never quite gotten around to
understanding this strange species, but I do try. Studying
theosophy in general adds a lot to the puzzle, and seems to
help in solving it. But in that study (of people) theosophy
also becomes a factor. Theosophy: its ideals of altruism,
freedom of thought and also its *doctrines* have had a
profound impact on the world in the past century. More
directly theosophy (just for the occasion defined as above)
has been an influance on people who have tried to build
organisations according to its principles. Some of those
organisations are based on the idea of freedom first.
Others are based on the value of the *doctrines* first.
Others are mix of these two. The ULT is quite an original
player in this field. They take the idea of anonimity to
the extreme. They take the idea of teachings before the
person to the extreme. Also of all the organisations with
studygroups in physical space (I mean all
non-internet-organisations), it is the one who has tried to
keep the weight of the organisation itself as small as
possible. I view it as an interesting experiment. And, as I
am profoundly convinced of the value of diversity, I also
value its originality.
 So, all in all, I am very interested in all that can be
found on how theosophy is tried to be put into practice. If
something like ULTese comes from people genuinely trying to
do what they thought H.P.Blavatsky would have wanted them
to do, then I am genuinely interested in how it works.
 Again: studying human nature and the interaction of human
nature with theosophy is interesting to me, so in the same
wise, ULTese is for me interesting. And I would like to
close with something H.P.Blavatsky said, though I do not
have the exact quotation: she said she critisized people in
the hope of being critisized herself, because that is one
of the easiest ways of discovering your weaknesses. So if
the ULT is flexible enough to know how to reflect on its
own functioning, it will probably learn something from our
discussion of ULTese. Of course it is very likely that they
do not learn what the writer of the ULTese-dictionary wants
them to learn, but something completely different. But that
is their business, not mine, nor is it the business of the
writer of the ULTese-dictionary to be, since he is not a
member of their organisation it seems and in that sense I
can sympathise with the person who feels we should just
leave them to do what they do.

Katinka Hesselink
 (formarly known as Katinka; I do not really believe in
anonimity to the extreme... ;-)   )
NHL Leeuwarden
hesse600@tem.nhl.nl