Did Mr Crosbie break the seventh clause of his solemn E.S pledge?

Apr 02, 1999 03:21 PM
by David Green

Did Mr Crosbie break the seventh clause of his solemn E.S pledge?

by David Green

In my previous article titled "Dzyan Esoteric School---Esoteric
Instructions Issued on Whose Authority?", I wrote-----

"Robert Crosbie was an esoteric member during the lifetimes of Blavatsky
& Judge.  Mr Crosbie had taken the same pledge not to reveal any of
these esoteric papers."

"After Mr Judge's death & at the formation of the ULT's DES, *by whose
authority* were the instructions reissued with a new pledge of secrecy?
Did Mr Crosbie violate his own original pledge by allowing the reissue
of Blavatsky's esoteric instructions under a new pledge of secrecy?"

"It is clear Blavatsky & Judge issued the instructions at the direction
of the Masters.  Who gave Mr Crosbie the authority or right to violate
his original pledge & reissue the instructions to *new students* under
an oath of silence and secrecy?  Did Mr Crosbie believe that he was
following in the esoteric footsteps of Blavatsky and Judge?"

Since above was posted, I've received six emails from infuriated ULT
associates asking me how I could dare impugn the motivations & integrity
of Mr Robert Crosbie.  I still urge that the questions asked are
relevant questions to consider.  I'd like to point out to my ULT friends
that Mr John Garrigues et al in one of the official ULT histories of
Modern Theosophy did not hestitate to attack Mrs Annie Besant *on the
very same issue*.  Read Mr Garrigues' words-----

"In Mrs. Besant's 'Third Volume' [of Secret Doctrine, 1897] are
incorporated the private papers originally issued by H.P.B. to the E.S.,
and in reprinting these Mrs. Besant . . . broke the seventh clause of
her solemn pledge as a member of the Estoeric School. . . ." ULT's "The
Theosophical Movement 1875-1925," pages 571-572.

My London ULT correspondent has emailed to me the wording of the seventh
clause of the E.S. pledge which both Mrs Besant & Mr Crosbie took----

"I pledge myself to preserve inviolable secresy as regards the signs and
pass-words of the Section and all confidential documents."

If Mrs Besant was guilty of what Mr Garrigues accused her, then is it
not equally fair to at least pose the question-----

Did not Mr Robert Crosbie violate his original "solemn" E.S. pledge by
reissuing through DES Blavatsky's esoteric instructions to *new
students* under the same oath of silence and secrecy?

If Mrs Besant is guilty of breaking her pledge, why not also Mr Crosbie?
If any theosophical student can answer this question, give evidence &
sound reasoning, & not hollow protestations.