RE: theos-l digest: January 08, 1999 == Katinka

Jan 09, 1999 06:26 AM
by W. Dallas TenBroeck

Jan 9th 1999

Dear Katinka:

For me the idea of philosophy and psychology are to be seen
together.  But I believe on examination it will be found that
theosophy adds some dimensions that modern psychology does not
cover.

Modern psychology is, as I see it more concerned with the here
and now of the personal self.
What in theosophy would be called the personality or the Lower
Manas involved in Kama.

The dimension that Theosophy shows is that there is the Higher
Mind which is Manas and Buddhi - or the Wise-mind.  In this
regard it speaks of Karmic effects.  It asks for instance on the
matter of sex:  If the act is performed for procreation, does it
not simultaneously imply the acceptance of responsibility for
progeny, wife, husband and family life to the fullest extent ?

Then comes the question:  should "sex" be performed for any other
reason - like recreation?  Does this lessen the karmic
responsibility because we have "birth-control" pills or other
apparatus and procedures to prevent the natural operation of
karmic law ?

This takes psychology on to an ethical plane.  What is it right
to do and when is it wrong ?

As I understand it, the difference between white and black magic
is the direction of our motives in acting, feeling and thinking.

I hope this may be helpful

Dallas