Some Quotations from theosophical sources

Oct 18, 1998 12:42 PM
by W. Dallas TenBroeck

Oct 18th 1998

Dallas offers some quotations to consider --- from Theosophical
Literature

"...the Secret Doctrine teaches history-which, for being esoteric
and traditional, is none the less more reliable than profane
history-we are entitled to our beliefs as anyone else, whether
religionist or sceptic."					SD I 267 (top)

"The members of several esoteric schools-the seat of which is
beyond the Himalayas...claim to have in their possession the sum
total of sacred and philosophical works in MSS, and type;  all
the works...that have been written in whatever language or
character, since the art of writing began..."		SD I xxiii

"...occult Science-having survived even the great Flood that
submerged the antediluvian giants...still holds the Key to all
the world problems.  Let us apply that Key to the rare fragments
of long-forgotten cosmogonies and try by their scattered parts to
re-establish the once Universal Cosmogony of the Secret
Doctrine....No one can study ancient philosophies seriously
without perceiving that the striking similitude of conception
between all-in their exoteric form very often, in their hidden
spirit invariably-is the result of no mere coincidence, but of a
concurrent design;  and that there was, during the youth of
mankind, one language, one knowledge. one universal religion, and
when there were no churches, no creeds or sects, but when every
man was a priest unto himself...that thought was inspired by the
same revelations, and man was nurtured under the protecting
shadow of the same TREE OF KNOWLEDGE."	SD I 341

"The landmarks of the archaic history of the past are few and
scarce, and those that men of science come across are mistaken
for finger-posts of our little era.  Even so-called "universal"
(?) history embraces but a tiny field in the almost boundless
space of the unexplored regions of our latest, fifth Root-Race.
Hence, every fresh signpost, every new glyph of the hoary Past
that is discovered, is added to the stock of information, to be
interpreted on the same lines of pre-existing conceptions, and
without any reference to the special cycle of thought which that
particular glyph may belong to...the Asvattha, tree of Life and
Being, whose destruction alone leads to immortality, is said in
the Bhagavadgita to grow with its roots above and its branches
below (ch. xv.).  The roots represent the supreme Being, or first
Cause, the LOGOS;  but one has to go beyond those roots to unite
oneself with Krishna...Its boughs are Hiranyagarbha (Brahma or
Brahman in his highest manifestation...)the highest Dhyan Chohans
or Devas.  The Vedas are its leaves.  He only who goes beyond the
roots shall never return, i.e., shall reincarnate no more during
this "age" of Brahma."
						SD I 406

Duration of "Races" and "sub-races"  SD II 435

"...our fifth Root-Race has already been in existence-as a
race...quite free from its parent stem-about 1,000,000 years;
therefore it must be inferred that each of the four preceding
Sub-Races has lived approximately 210,000 years ;  thus each
Family-Race has an average existence of about 30,000 years.  Thus
the European "Family-Race" ha still a good many thousand years to
run, although the nations...vary with each succeeding "season" of
three or four thousand years.  It is somewhat curious to mark
comparative approximation of duration between the lives of a
"Family-Race" and a "Sidereal Year." [ 25,868 years ]...The year
of the Kaliyuga is said to have begun between the 17th and 18th
of February in the year 3,102 B.C. ... "									SD II 135

"...the Egyptian Zodiac is between 75 and 80,000 years old ...
the Zodiac of the Greeks is far later...16,984 years old, or up
to the present [1888] 17,082."								SD II 436

Offered for consideration and comment.

Dallas