Re: MODERN PANARION reprinted by the Theosophy Company, Los Angeles

Sep 25, 1998 11:08 AM
by Graye/Caldwell

Dallas, thank you for your comments on A MODERN PANARION.

But I am somewhat puzzled by your comments when you write:

> Reprint in facsimile the book as originally published in 1895. . . >.This method was chosen.  No question ,but an explanation or a warning >to readers, could have been included in a "publisher's preface."  And >if ever this is reprinted I would urge the T. Co. to make such an >observation.

But why would you (or the Theosophy Company) want to ever reprint this
volume again?  Even if you included a "publisher's preface", the book
has hundreds of "corrections" plus deletions.  And all of this was
probably done by Mr. Mead.  IMO, to reprint this 1895 volume goes
against what you have previously stated as YOUR OWN standards in regards
to HPB's writings.  And I believe it would go against the standards of
the Theosophy Company.  AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE??

For interested Blavatsky students, the articles from HPB's pen reprinted
in A MODERN PANARION can also be found in Boris de Zirkoff's COLLECTED
WRITINGS.  And BdZ's transcription is much better than what is found in
A MODERN PANARION.

Just one example to illustrate my last statement.  In MP, on pp. 38-46,
you find an article entitled "Occultism or Magic."  In THE COLLECTED
WRITINGS, Vol. I, pp. 101-119, you find this same article but with the
original title: "A Few Questions to 'HIRAF".  The MP version is
incomplete.  The last 12 long paragraphs of the article is missing in
MP.  See COLLECTED WRITINGS, Vol. I for comparison.  I have verified
this by looking at my microfilm copy of the original article published
in the Boston SPIRITUAL SCIENTIST.

Pages 1-190 in MP reprint HPB's articles in America, 1874-1878.  I would
recommend Vol. I of THE COLLECTED WRITINGS which includes all these
articles plus more not included in MP.  Plus Boris has added HPB's notes
appended to these articles in her scrapbooks.  Plus there are many other
benefits to this Volume I.

Maybe the Theosophy Company should consider reprinting the 4 volumes of
the COMPLETE WORKS of HPB published in the 1930s.

Or better yet. . . . [but I will save this last idea for another post.]

Daniel H. Caldwell