Re: THEOS-L digest 1643

Sep 29, 1998 12:10 PM
by Cybercmh

In a message dated 9/23/98 10:25:57 PM, mkr wrote:

<<If these people are really hungry, my little help may
alleviate a bit of their hunger.>>

I like this in theory, but I've tested it several times in downtown D.C. by
offering to buy or give the person food instead of money.  Sometimes the food
offering is accepted, but other times, it is turned down (several times by
people who asked for money, claiming to be hungry), in which case I conclude
the person really wants cash rather than food, for whatever purpose I don't
know - but I don't necessarily want to finance someone else's drug or alcohol
habit, for example.  I think that what it means to be poor or homeless can
have more complicated causes in our society than simple, extreme hunger such
as you might find in a place like Calcutta.

Would be interested to know what others think about giving cash versus other
forms of charity.  Also - must we give to everyone who catches our attention?
or can we ethically focus only on the charities we want our money to go to,
ignoring the rest?
Christine