Re: significance of the number 108..

Jun 20, 1998 09:43 AM
by Bart Lidofsky

M K Ramadoss wrote:

> In (Asian) Indian tradition, 108 is a key number. People gift 108 coins,
> rupees etc. many rituals have 108 as the number of repetitions etc. For
> some reason, round numbers such as 10, 100, 1000, 10000 etc. are not
> considered good numbers.

	I don't know how Indian numerology works, but in Hebrew, the word for
life, {CH}Y, represents the number 18 (Ches is 8 and Yod is 10), so 18
is considered to be a special number to Jews ((CH)VH, a femnized version
of the word for life, was the name given to the first woman,
inexplicably transliterated in English as "Eve"). Of course, 6x18 is
108, for whatever good that does...

	Bart Lidofsky