Does the Theosophical Society have a Doctrine?

May 11, 1998 10:50 AM
by Bart Lidofsky

A number of theosophists have reacted very negatively to a statement
that the Theosophical Society has a doctrine. Now, given that there IS a
difference between doctrine and dogma, a statement (whether true or not)
can be made: The Theosophical Society has a teaching or set of
teachings, which the individual members can either accept or reject as
they see fit. This was the gist of every statement I have heard or read
by Theosophists that the Theosophical Society has a doctrine.

	Now, given that there are a number of representatives of a number of
Theosophical Societies here, I would like to know who agrees or
disagrees with the statement given above (The Theosophical Society has a
teaching or set of teachings, which the individual members can either
accept or reject as they see fit), and, more importantly, why.

	Bart Lidofsky

P.S. I will forgo answering the question myself, at first, so that
people who agree with me won't decide to let me speak for that side by
myself.