Re: ACT Newsletter

Mar 31, 1998 09:41 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 02:11 PM 3/31/1998 -0500, Bart wrote:
>I have just read the ACT newsletter.

>#5) In terms of membership lists, I would prefer a compromise, where
individual
>members can decide whether or not they wish their information to be
distributed.
>I would HOPE that the members of ACT would not want personal information
about
>individual members released without their permission.
>
>#6) See #5. I like the phrase, "as required by statute".

MKR: Let me quote the specific Goal/Aim mentioned above:

5) Work to make available to all members of the TSA detailed financial and
membership information by publication at least annually in the official
journal of the members.

6) Work to make available to any member of the TSA, all records of the TSA
other than personnel records pertaining to any individual employed by the
TSA as required by the statute and to permit copying at the expense of the
member.

MKR Comments: #5) TSA is incorporated as a non-profit corporation under the
laws of State of Illinois. The statutes clearly provide for disclosure of
the membership information to any member in good standing. The underlying
principle is that at the time of elections, those in power who have access
to these lists so that they can and do influence the membership as they
want to swing the elections while a member in good standing is prevented
from presenting his/her side to the membership because there there is no
way to know who the members are. What is needed is just complying both in
spirit and letter of the statute.

#6) Again this suggestion goes to the how open the administration is. There
are statutory safeguards to prevent disclosure of information of a
personnel nature as well as those of trade secrets and matters under
litigation. All other information are statutorialy permissible to be
disclosed. Open administration will increase the credibility and can only
do a lot of good in the long run. Anyone who is not used to run an
organization in a very open manner will find this a cultural shock. But
what is good for the TSA should be the guiding principle.