Re: You posting . of Mar 21 - on "belief" and "fact" Theos-l

Mar 24, 1998 03:59 PM
by Bart Lidofsky

Dallas TenBroeck wrote:

> I say this because to me it is a fact, and the veneer of 'belonging'
> is only a veneer which is either reinforced or abraded every time on
> has contact with others or takes a responsible position.  But I think
> you know this as well as I do, and perhaps I am overstepping the
> bounds of acquaintance in mentioning all this.

    One of the things that attracted me to Theosophy initially was that
there was no dogma, no required beliefs. When presenting Theosophical
doctrines to outsiders, I stress that these are beliefs, not facts, and
up to the individual to prove or disprove to his or her satisfaction.
There are some members who set my teeth on edge by declaring as absolute
fact things for which there is no proof other than their own faith. It is
important, in my opinion, to make an effort to remember, and label, which
is which.

    Bart Lidofsky