Circling the wagons

Feb 24, 1998 12:54 PM
by K. Paul Johnson

Bart's observation about Adyar "circling the wagons" is quite in
line with my own experience.  The atmosphere, from moment one
during my visit, was one of defensiveness, stagnation, mistrust
of members, perception of everything as a potential threat and
nothing as a potential opportunity.  Other member/authors who've
been there say the same.  My experience with the ARE headquarters
was 180 degrees different.

Now, whether our current president and board are trying to steer
a less reactionary course than Adyar's is open to debate.  I
can't say I have seen any evidence of that, alas.

Cheers,
PJ