Re: THEOS-L digest 1433

Feb 21, 1998 07:51 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <2673e846.34ef39d9@aol.com>, ZZZLEEPER@aol.com
writes
><<Ergo, "theosophy" was not the best choice of word, or, the masters
>were saying something different from HPB ....
>
>Confusing, ain't it folks ....
>
>Alan
>>>

>I've removed or, at least, mitigated the confusion for myself by equating
>theos with divine instead of god.

Many people do this, and it is a convenient approach.  The fact remains
that theos is the Greek for "god" (Big or small 'g').

> This fallen-away Catholic acolyte can live
>more comfortably with divine wisdom which relates more to the metaphysical or
>esoteric for me.

This fallen away independent catholic bishop agrees with you!

> Somehow when god or God is in the picture, formal religion,
>with all its dogmatic regalia, seems suffocatingly close at hand and more than
>willing to shove tenets down my throat.

Which, sadly, has been the legacy of the Leadbeater/Besant era upon
the Adyar-based TS.  I was reflecting only yesterday that HPB
produced two major works - Isis Unveiled and The Secret Doctrine.
In neither is theosophy presented as a kind of dogmatic theology to be
taught.  Only that there is/are an ancient wisdom(s) to be discovered
and studied.

Just today's .02

Alan
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: Working for a New Age:
http://www.nellie2.demon.co.uk/
E-mail: TI@nellie2.demon.co.uk