Re: Yugo Section Split -- The Importance of Open Communication

Feb 15, 1998 07:27 AM
by M K Ramadoss

First of all thanks to Eldon for the letter and I think he hit the nail on
its head. Anytime anyone or any lodge or any section is made to leave TS,
it is very sad.

We had the situation in Denmark, and Canada where similar events have taken
place.

I am yet to see any light thrown on these situations from the TS side. Lack
of any information makes one wonder what is the "real" reason for the
decisions.

We had the situation in Boston Lodge. During the TSA By-laws change which
was presented as "house keeping", when allegations were made that the
members were accused of attempting to take the property and distribute
between themselves (which was challenged by a member who was then the
Secretary of the lodge to which there were no replies), the only response
from TSA was that the it was too complicated to explain as if the members
are not intelligent enough to understand.

Add to this is the confused direction of TSA as presented in the recent
posts quoting some of the pronouncements.

Lack of openness and information is not helping the situation.

In the past, what was happening in one country, the neighboring countries
are kept in the total darkness. (It was couple of years before Denmark
discovered about events in Yugoslavia). No more. Internet e-mail, maillists
and newsgroups have changed all that.

Add to this is the fact that the leadership not taking advantage of the
Internet as a communication medium either due to lack of understanding of
the potential of the medium and/or as a deliberate policy or don't yet know
how to deal with the medium.

On the other hand, what we see is Internet is breaking down of the walls
that exist between the organizations. Theosophists belonging to all the
organizations and belonging to none, discuss here various issues as
brothers and sisters and siblings. No "editing" No censorship -- totally
open.  All this for free courtesy of a few committed open minded
Theosophists. No dues, no fees to be paid. This may be the future for
Theosophy.

Of course those who are comfortable with a Theosophy "religion" based on
specific "beliefs" (I emphasize because anything based on personal
knowledge is no longer a belief) and don't want to think for themselves and
solve problems themselves will only be comfortable in a "religion" type of
a set up.

May be time is running out for the formal set up used during last 100 years
and  TS organizations turning into publishing houses. Who knows? Time only
can tell.

mkr