Pacifist Defense Minister

Jan 12, 1998 11:10 AM
by M K Ramadoss

The following msg just shows that there are some very determined pacifists
and it takes a lot of courage and risk to stick to one's principles.

mkr

>From: "Mika Perala" <mikap@dlc.fi>
>Subject: Defence minister
>Date: Mon, 12 Jan 98 22:21:20 PST

Hi!

I wrote you privately cause theos-l doesn`t like my messages and I can`t
get through :)
J. Mead thinks its my servers fault.
Anyway, Finland had a theosophist-pacifist-defence minister after the WWII.
Yrjo Kallinen was his name.
I guess it was thought that russians won`t get nervous when our little
country has a man of peace in that job. Some twenty-five years earlier the
government was about to execute him for being "on the wrong side on the
civil war"! There is a story which claims that executioners were ready on
the line to shoot but Kallinen made a speech to them and they couldn`t
shoot him. Must have been an extraordinary man, anyway.

You can post this to the list if you like.

Mika
TI member
Finland