Re: Common man/woman's WWW

Dec 19, 1997 07:11 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 08:15 PM 12/19/97 -0500, you wrote:
>M K Ramadoss wrote:
>>
>> The company which is ushering the all in one web server is soon going after
>> home market. Here is a part of a report in the news.
>>
>> =================
>>
>>  Frankenberg said the box will sell for ''well under $2,000'' at its
expected
>>  introduction later this year, and he said buyers now using a Web service
>> bureau  would cover the purchase cost within 18 months through lower
>> monthly access fees.
>>
>>  Encanto plans to introduce a scaled-down box next year, priced in the
>>  $400 range, for families and volunteer organizations that want to control
>> their own Web sites but don't require as many features as a small business.
>>
>> ===================================
>>
>> MKR:
>> What this means is that everyone of us can set up our own home page and
>> every one is going have their own website. Look for action in 1998.
>>
>> ..........MKRamadoss
>
>Doss, I believe that you can find tools on the net for authouring your
>own webpages, and Geocities or Fortunecity will host your pages at no
>charge. I built my pages with Frontpage'97, and my IP provides 3 mb
>space at no extra charge.
>
>Am I missing something about this new service that you are telling us
>about?
>
>Vincent

This is a hardware based approach. It is a piece of hardware you attach to
your system and hence would enable you to have large database to be put on
the web. Firstly they are targeting small businesses. Also with this
hardware, small businesses with a couple of 100 dollars can set up to do
electronic commerce on line. This is the first venture and will have to see
how this whole niche is going to evolve.

mkr