Re: information on copyrights

Dec 03, 1997 10:36 AM
by Vincent Beall

Eldon B Tucker wrote:

> A few weeks ago we were discussing intellectual rights
> and the Internet. I just came across the following in
> an email folder, and thought it would be useful to post,
> since it mentions a number of common misconceptions that
> I've seen mentioned in the discussion.

Eldon, I have been told directly by copyright examiners at the US
Copyright office that noone has a copyright without a copyright
certificate, which must be applied for and a fee paid. They have also
said that putting a copyright notice on your work offers some
protection, but it is weak and may mean that you would lose a costly
leagle battle to collect damages.

Why don't you check with the copyright office directly?

Vincent
--

vincent@dmv.com

http://home.dmv.com/~vincent/