Re: Request for Information, Suggestions, Help

Nov 22, 1997 11:55 AM
by Bart Lidofsky

Eldon B Tucker wrote:
> At the end of January I'll be giving a program on "Theosophy
> and the Internet" at the Krotona School of Theosophy in Ojai,
> California. I'm in the process of deciding what will go into
> the program, and thought I'd ask for suggestions, ideas, etc.
> from fellow theosophical students on the Internet. (I'm writing
> to several mailing lists since there's fairly little overlap
> between the lists, and I'll be able to get more ideas,
> suggestions, and things to include in the program.)

	Have you seen my pamphlet? If not, I can email you a copy in Microsoft
Word format.

> There are five areas where help could be offered:
>
> 1. Does anyone have or could anyone write some personal stories
>    about experiences on the Internet and how it might relate to
>    one's learning, growth, spiritual awakening, etc.? (I may read
>    excerpts from some of the more interesting ones at the
>    program.)

	Many times. The most notable, however, was when I was giving a talk
based on hypnotism and Theosophy, based largely on H.P.B.'s writings.
The day before the talk, on the alt.hypnotism newsgroup, a historical
piece about hypnotism in the late 19th century was published. I was able
to quickly verify the veracity of this piece, and it made it clear that
H.P.B.'s information about hypnotism was 3rd hand at best. It further
made it clear that what we call "hypnotism" today is far closer to what
she called "mesmerism", while what she called "hypnotism" is more akin
to what we call "mind-control" (such as is practiced by many cult
leaders).

> 2. What are everyone's favorite web sites, lists, hangouts?

	Well, note that theos-world magazine was the only non-TSA site that was
approved for inclusion in my pamphlet. But you know that already...

> 3. What suggestions are good to offer newcomer Theosophists
>    on utilizing the Internet?

	I have been increasing my list of free and low-costs ways of getting on
the Internet. I intend to expand my pamphlet into a book, and am
awaiting comments from Wheaton on where to put the expansions. If you
have received a copy, comments on your part would be especially
appreciated.

> 4. What suggestions does everyone have as to things to mention
>    or include in my four-to-five hour program?

	A) Why the Internet has suddenly become so popular.
	B) Why Theosophists should care.
	C) What the Internet is NOT.
	D) How to get on cheap (or even free).

> 5. What would be good live demonstrations to do? (Perhaps posting
>    and getting live email to/from a list, going to some web
>    pages, visiting an IRC, trying out Internet phone, etc.)

	I have just gotten a new video accelerator card for my computer, which
includes TV/VCR output. I was considering making videotapes of the NYTS
web page in action for viewing by the NYTS members; perhaps, if you can
be specific, I can create additional videotapes for you.

	Bart Lidofsky