Re: Defining Soul (2)

Nov 17, 1997 05:36 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <34700631.6611@dmv.com>, Vincent Beall <vincent@dmv.com>
writes
>the Tree of Life and the
>Decalogue can be seen as observations of a single natural structure.
>This is a very important concept in that many have remarked that Judaism
>in particular has divorced man from nature.

I don't think this is true at all.  Judaism, aside from, and including
its theology, is a very pragnatic religion.  So far as Kabbalah is
concerned, it places human beings (and humanity) firmly within a setting
as part of nature.

> However, there are some
>problematical things to consider regarding the "natural" nature of this
>finding. The most profound is that the natural structure which is
>"thought" to reflect the structure of "Kabbalah" can be visualized,
>which makes for "a" contemplation of a theosophy(Kabbalah) held to be
>transcendant, making the whole part of a mental realm.

A trifle tautologous? In my understanding, the "mental realm" (you do
not define it) is itself part of the natural order, part of nature on
the larger scale.

Alan