Re: feedback on intellectual rights and ethics

Nov 12, 1997 08:27 PM
by Bart Lidofsky

Dr. A.M.Bain wrote:
> I find it impossible to agree with this proposition, as a mailing list,
> by definition, is sent to all the subscribers to that list.  To try to
> exercise the kind of control suggested in your complete post would make
> an unmoderated mailing list unworkable, as we would all have to
> continually ask each other for permission to quote each other when
> replying or commenting on postings which are, by intent (so far as
> theos-l and ti-l are concerned, I am certain) intended to promote
> discussion, comment, and a general openness among all subscribers.

	I think you misunderstand. Eldon was talking about requiring permission
for cross-posting. In other words, if someone writes a message on
theos-l, then somoene should not post or quote in on theos-world without
permission of the original writer; after all, if the original writer had
wanted it on theos-l, s/he could have posted it him/herself.

	Bart Lidofsky